Landmines Kill and Injure 12 Civilians in Yemen, Including Children and Women: The Yemeni Mine Action Center

Sunday 0 Jul 2024 |2 months ago
Landmines Kill and Injure 12 Civilians in Yemen, Including Children and Women: The Yemeni Mine Action Center

Barran Press

The Yemeni Mine Action Center reported on Sunday, July 28, 2024, that one child was killed and 11 civilians, including children and women, were injured in landmine explosions in four Yemeni governorates over the past 24 hours. The landmines were remnants of the Houthi group, internationally designated as a terrorist organization.

The center, in a statement posted on the X platform, seen by Barran Press, reported that a man, his wife, and their child were injured, with the woman losing a limb, in a Houthi landmine explosion in the Beit Maghari area of Hays District in Hodeidah Governorate (western Yemen).

In Sana'a Governorate, the center confirmed the death of a child and the injury of two civilians in a landmine explosion in Nihm District. Meanwhile, a child and a woman were injured in a Houthi landmine explosion in the Ja'adah area of Midi, belonging to Hajjah Governorate (northwest Yemen).

The center also reported that at least three travelers were injured in a Houthi landmine explosion on the desert road in Khabb wa ash Sha'af District in Jawf Governorate (northeast Yemen). The center stated that this alternative desert road is heavily contaminated with landmines planted by the Houthis, which have claimed the lives of dozens of travelers.

UN reports indicate that the Houthi group has planted approximately two million landmines in various areas under their control, resulting in the deaths and injuries of over 20,000 civilians, primarily women and children.

While human rights reports accuse the Houthis of "transforming Yemen into the largest minefield ever, after planting over two million landmines," human rights organizations repeatedly call on the Houthi group to provide maps of the landmines they have planted to organizations working in mine clearance.

https://en.barran.press/news/topic/3671